Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Due Date...

Well, May 24th is here... however as of this morning, BGS is not.

People keep telling me how "ready" I look and how my belly has dropped, but apparently, Baby Girl Schaab isn't ready yet. After my appointment with Dr. Ashby on Wednesday, we determined that I'm still 2 centimeters dilated and now 70% effaced. The baby is measuring perfectly healthy and is still happy inside! Dr. Ashby assures me that she is just perfect - also in the head down position! Since today's my due date, I have an appointment with Dr. Ashby at 9:00 a.m. She'll do another internal exam and if there's no progress, she'll strip my membranes. Stripping my membranes you might ask? My mom things the definition is a little graphic (it's not that bad), so if you're interested, click here. Once you're on the article, details are on page 2.

As the definitions implies, this works for some women, not all. We'll schedule an induction for later in the week if this procedure doesn't make it happen. Mike and I are more than ready to meet our little girl and I'm getting super uncomfortable - especially with the heat! I'm also officially on maternity leave, so I'm no longer working! :) It's exciting to start my summer but even more exciting when the reason why I get to start early gets here!

The American Pregnancy Association has this to say about Week 40:

Your baby’s bones have become hard, with the exception of his/her skull. The bones in the skull need to remain soft and pliable for delivery so that they can overlap as they pass through the birth canal. Because a newborn’s skull is designed this way, your baby’s head may have a cone appearance for the first several days of life. Your baby will actually have two soft spots, or fontanelles, on his/her head which allow for an easier delivery. The front fontanelle will become hard between the eighth and fifteenth month of life. The back fontanelle becomes hard between the third and fourth month.

Your baby should be between 19 and 21 inches long and weigh anywhere from 6 ¾ to 10 pounds.

How far along? 40 weeks

Total weight gain: 28 pounds

Maternity Clothes: YES!!! Sundresses work the best since my belly hangs so low.

Sleep: Is so uncomfortable. My belly is so heavy and getting up in the middle of the night is a challenge... especially falling back asleep. Usually, I end up being wide awake at 4:30 a.m.

Best Moment this Week: Making a plan with Dr. Ashby if labor doesn't start by itself.

Movement: Her movements have slowed down somewhat painful... We're starting to see a lot more baby "parts" sticking out of my belly - I know she's cramped in there - we keep telling her she'll have more room to move around if she comes out!

Food Cravings: Culver's Frozen Custard

Gender: GIRL

Labor Signs:
Contractions. I'm also dilated to 2cm and I'm 70% effaced. We might of done a little bit of nesting yesterday as well.

Belly Button in or out? Flat - not popped out but flat.

What I miss: Sleeping comfortably.

Milestones: I've made it to 40 weeks.


What I'm looking forward to: THE BABY COMING! We can't WAIT to MEET HER!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. AHHH you needed a warning on how graphic "stripping the membranes" was!!!!

    ReplyDelete